Last updated on November 25, 2023
Ashish Dhawan has established himself among the most successful investors in India. The former private equity investor is also the founder and Chairman of Central Square Foundation (CSF) which is working towards ensuring quality school education for all children in India. Here we take a look at Ashish Dhawan net worth, portfolio, investing style, and more.
Ashish Dhawan was born in New Delhi in 1969. After graduating from Yale University, he pursued an MBA at Harvard University. He began his career in 1992 by joining Wasserstein Perella and Company, a small Wall Street boutique bank. He later worked in New York for Goldman Sachs.
Read Also: Best IPOs that Doubled Investors’ Money
Laying the Groundwork for ChrysCapital
Ashish Dhawan returned to India in 1999 and started ChrysCapital when the concept of private equity was still new in the country. He turned the venture into a success, and within 5–6 years, ChrysCapital became one of India’s largest private equity firms, managing an AUM of USD 1 billion.
Ashish Dhawan Portfolio Pursuing Philanthropy and Education
In 2010, Ashish Dhawan co-founded the Young India Fellowship program, which marked the start of his career in the field of education. To develop the next generation of Indian leaders, the fellowship is a one-year residential program in many fields that emphasizes experience-based learning.
Dhawan founded the grant-making organization Central Square Foundation in 2012. The organization offers grants and serves as a think tank for public policy focused on raising the standard of education in the nation. Additionally, the foundation concentrates on educating kids from underprivileged backgrounds.
In addition, Ashish Dhawan and 40 other philanthropists co-founded Ashoka University in 2014. The institution is India’s first liberal arts university of its sort.
Read Also: All-time largest IPOs in India at a glance
Evaluation of Ashish Dhawan Portfolio
As per the latest data for the September quarter, Ashish Dhawan portfolio is spread across 12 stocks. Ashish Dhawan’s portfolio approach is defined by concentration and he has kept the number of stocks in his portfolio below 15 in the last couple of years.
- Biggest exposure in his portfolio happens to be of IDFC, Glenmark Pharma, and M&M Financial Services.
- During the quarter, Ashish Dhawan’s shareholding largely remained stable with no major changes. Religare Enterprises was the only stock with a modest increase in shareholding.
Ashish Dhawan Portfolio – Top Holdings
|Company||Shares held||Stock price (INR)||Value (INR crore)|
|Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.||7,200,000||775.0||558.00|
|Mahindra & Mahindra Financial||14,600,000||273.4||399.09|
|Equitas Small Finance Bank Ltd.||40,370,000||97.6||394.01|
|AGI Greenpac Ltd.||3,100,000||966.4||299.58|
|Quess Corp Ltd.||5,861,223||489.7||286.99|
|Greenlam Industries Ltd.||4,814,210||569.0||273.93|
|Arvind Fashions Ltd.||6,564,065||412.4||270.70|
|Religare Enterprises Ltd.||7,605,608||218.0||165.76|
|RPSG Ventures Ltd.||1,234,286||617.0||76.16|
|Dish TV India Ltd.||28,957,491||19.4||56.18|
|Palred Technologies Ltd.||678,189||172.1||11.67|
Ashish Dhawan Portfolio Advice on Investing
- Smart and Diversified Investment for Good Returns: Ashish Dhawan lost his investments in numerous telecom businesses during the Dot Com catastrophe when he was in his late 20s, but because of his diverse portfolio, he made six times as much money on BPO player SpectraMind and avoided bankruptcy.
ChrysCapital invested USD 10 million in SpectraMind and earned USD 60 million in a few years. It also earned huge profits by investing in Axis Bank, Yes Bank, Shriram Transport Finance, Global Vantedge, TechTeam, Gammon, and IVRCL.
- Analysis of the Market: Investors who want to feel confident about their investment in a business should research the market profits and potential hazards before making a decision. Analyzing the many hazards involved and being aware of the potential headwinds could aid in the success of an endeavor.
Due to Ashish Dhawan’s lack of understanding of the risks associated with these investments, he also suffered significant losses at Allsec Technologies, Orient Green Power, and Mastek.
- Long-Term Investment: Ashish Dhawan has consistently ignored short-term market swings in favor of long-term investments that have yielded higher profits.
He invested in Mphasis in 2001 and bought shares for INR 350 each. Mphasis’s share price soon dropped to INR 50, but Dhawan stuck onto his shares according to protocol and went on to reap five times the gains. Market instability can create chaos among investors. However, it is smart for investors to stay invested for a longer period to earn higher returns.
Ashish Dhawan Net Worth
According to corporate reports filed for the September 2023 quarter, Ashish Dhawan net worth from the equity investments was around INR 3,454 crore. Dhawan’s net worth keeps changing based on stock price fluctuations.
As of the date of writing this article, Ashish Dhawan net worth tied to the stock market was largely divided into 12 stocks with an average shareholding of INR 287.83 crore.